Thursday, April 19, 2012

So I guess it begins for me today.  This blogging thing.  Why did I begin? Still trying to figure that out.  I guess, my initial thought (and guess) is to create an outlet, a venue, an opportunity to share my thoughts (random as they may be), my ideas, insights and experiences.  The question is, share them with whom? Who will care? I guess that does not concern me at the moment as this is my journey and I want to write about it.

Where am I today and how did I get here? (just to put everything into perspective).  I am a 44 year old mother of three (yeah I went there) age matters very little to me.  My three children are my life but what kind of mom would I be if I didn't say that.  I am a Human Resources professional and have worked in this industry for more than 19 years.  I recently, due to so many circumstances left my job. Circumstances....to many to list.  Lets just say personal and professional and it was time.

Lets go back a few years.  When I turned 40 in 2008, it was like being hit by a truck.  Call it a mid life crisis or anything else you want.  I am sure there is a very smart psychological term for it.  I was in a job that made me less than happy, working with people that did not inspire me.  I was traveling more than I wanted, working 60+ hours a week, my phone had become a new appendage on my body and I was missing my children's life.  (yeah, yeah, I know, but I am not looking for pity, just explaining)

I was on a business trip, in a hotel room (on my 40th birthday), crying to my mom (no matter what age, we always go back to mom).  I knew I needed to make changes but didn't know how.  My mom in her infinite and "direct" wisdom basically told me to stop crying, do what I needed to do and get on with it.  I did. I quit my six figure job that week, told my family and then.....sat down and exclaimed, out loud, "what the hell did I just do? What was I thinking?

Now I am not looking for sympathy here.  My life was/is good.  My experiences, concerns, trials and tribulations, sacrifices etc are no different than every working person (mom or dad) out there.  But as I said earlier in this post, this is my journey, my blog and I am hoping that in some way, someone reads these posts and can relate.


5 months later in July 2008 I joined a great company and LOVED my job (well, until I was exposed to the biggest HR challenge any HR professional can experience.  An egotistical, passive/aggressive, misogynistic, VP who through some act of god (can't chalk it up to anything else) remained employed by my company even after my professional HR recommendations (if you can read between the lines).  The company then went through a sale and major restructure leaving me somewhat over-qualified for the tasks and responsibilities that were now mine and again I found myself traveling more than I wanted and missing the lives of my kids.  Again, those circumstances (personal and professional) rose to the surface and my employment came to a quiet and appropriate end.  I learned so much during my 3 1/2 years with the company.  I learned valuable lessons that regardless of the field I choose for employment in the future, it will serve me well.

My goal here is really just tell my story, as it unfolds. I have so many things to share and to say.  Some, maybe I shouldn't but I will anyway.  I want to LIVE my journey, I want to leave a legacy.  At my very Irish wake and funeral someday very, very far in the future, I want them to say she loved life, got all she wanted out of it and most of all, "Lived her journey".   I don't just want to get on board and see where it takes me.  I want to feel and experience every single moment, good, bad, ugly, beautiful, terrifying and joyful. I will share this, with anyone who cares to listen, read and comment.  I am also okay if it is only me who posts and shares, as my goal is to also document this journey and find some answers to questions I don't even know I have.

As you can probably sense, sarcasm can, at times, filter in to my posts and sense of humor.  Trust me, it will grow on you.

So as I close out this very first blog post let me end by saying, I am blessed but not always happy.  I am a positive person, but don't always feel positive and inspired. I love and care but sometimes feel alone.  So I think I will leave it at that.  I think I will start with the kids and their story first, again in order to give more perspective and background! Look for more to come.

1 comment:

  1. Stop, self reflect, then move forward...I LOVE IT! Looking forward to more!
    xo Margarete

    ReplyDelete